30 May 2012

Attend To The Tale Of Sweeney Todd

It's the third and final instalment of my London trip today! I hope I haven't bored you to tears by rambling on too much. As you will know if you have read my previous two posts, Rob and I went to see Sweeney Todd at the theatre on Thursday. Now, I love the theatre. Seriously. Somebody please let me get on a stage and sing my heart out. (Always how I feel after leaving a show).
Now, I haven't seen the film Sweeney Todd, you know, the one with Johnny Depp and Helen Bonham Carter, so I really couldn't say how alike they are. But the musical was fabulous. Brilliantly witty and the actors and actresses were just ridiculously talented. Sweeney Todd was played by Michael Ball (although, had I not known from the programme that it was him, I would never have guessed!) The lead female role of Mrs. Lovett was played by Imelda Staunton. I had no idea that she could sing, but she can and is brilliant at it.

The musical is about 'the demon barber of Fleet Street', Sweeney Todd, who murders his clients by slitting their throats with his razor. The bodies are then handed over to Mrs. Lovett, his accomplice who grinds the bodies up and bakes them into pies, which she sells in her now booming café.


The story is quite dark, but comedy genius at its best and it really is impossible to tear your eyes away from the lead characters. The story is complete with a beautiful damsel in distress, a young orphaned boy, two evil perverted old men and the man from the 'Go Compare' advert (spitting image!) I won't give away the ending of the story. but I implore you to go and see it. Michael Ball and Imelda Staunton were just flawless and it was a thoroughly enjoyable three hours of entertainment.


Have you seen anything in the theatre recently? What would you recommend for my next visit?

6 comments:

  1. I am really jealous, have heard nothing but good things about this version of Sweeney Todd. The play version of the Woman in Black is well worth seeing if you like Spooky things or Wicked if you haven't seen it :) x

    ReplyDelete
  2. I didn't know that this was in the theatre! Would love to see it, haven't seen many West End shows. Saw Legally Blonde though, thought it was hilarious xxx

    ReplyDelete
  3. I went to the opera, guess that's not the same thing.


    /Avy

    http://mymotherfuckedmickjagger.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  4. Great post! I am an absolute musical theatre geek! Havent seen this one yet though, its high on my list! Im going to see Matilda at the end of the month which is meant to be amazing! Like Josie though I would definitely recommend Legally Blonde! xx

    ReplyDelete
  5. Really cool post! Great blog! Your posts keep me coming back for more - it's cos you're amazing!!! Have a great day and a brilliant week ahead! Looking forward to more posts from you!

    the-white-list.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  6. I'd love to see this! I'm a fan of the film (I recommend!) and the soundtrack. I remember when I first heard about it, the combination of blood/gore and singing is genius haha. I haven't been to see anything at the theatre for ages! xx

    ReplyDelete